Thursday, October 22, 2009

1 month post-op!

Wow, it's been a month since surgery!

On some levels it's hard to believe it's only been a month. On others it's hard to believe it's already been a month.

So far it certainly hasn't been easy. I'm still working on getting down a good routine and getting in everything that I'm supposed to be. Some days it's hard with running around with the kids and taking care of them it's easy to forget about me. Which I know is something I need to work on.

This past month has been a roller coaster of emotions. Some days have been great, some days I feel like it's the worst decision ever. When you lose weight, estrogen is released from the fat...so that doesn't help the feelings!

Lately I've developed a gagging issue. Tastes, smells, and even thoughts of some food/drinks can bring it on. Not sure what is going on because I've never been one to gag before. Someone told me about now is when the pouch starts to wake up and can be really sensitive.

Getting in my protein is a struggle. I've always been very sensitive to texture and smell. Well, the protein powders down right stink! I read a suggestion today to put it in a sippy cup so you can't smell it. I haven't tried it yet, will have to give it a whirl.

With the cooler weather trying to make an appearance, soups will be more popular in the house. So hopefully it'll be easier for me to get more in that way. I can mix the unflavored protein in with my serving of it.

The Dr's highly recommend getting a medical alert bracelet. I can no longer have a NG Tube unless they don't do it blind and also no NSAIDs (aspirin and the like). Today I finally got around to ordering one from Lauren's Hope, thanks to Mom and Dad! I wanted something that will go with everything and look nice. So I decided on a mother's bracelet:

(obviously will have Landon and Logan on it :P )

On the back wrist part there will the the med alert tag. On it it'll have engraved my name, Gastric Bypass, no blind NG tube, no NSAIDS, and Dan's cell number.

It should be arriving early to mid next week. I can't wait! Just worries me that now I cannot have certain things is of course the day some idiot is going to plow into my car or something crazy will happen. So I'll feel better having this to wear.

The scale is showing -36. I have my next Dr appt on Nov 5th, I think their scale shows a few more pounds gone. I didn't weigh on our scale until after surgery and I think that I lost about 4lbs on the pre-op liquid diet.

I've started swallowing some pills. Like the Pepcid, it's a little one. So far no problems there.

I still have a long way to go, but am working on it. It's going to be a work in process for a while, but at least it's in process instead of still thinking about it stage.

Right now I have some Fage (Greek yogurt) straining. Then am going to add some sugar free cheesecake jello mix to it. Apparently it tastes like the real thing, just with 17g of protein in 6oz!

No comments:

Post a Comment