Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The sugar matter

Every since my surgery, I have been doing really well about having things to eat/drink without sugar or very, very low amount of it.

Well...I was.

And by was, I mean the past few days...not so much. Unfortunately, I think I have made a discovery I didn't want to be true. Well, let me rephrase. Apart of me wanted to be true, but apart of me doesn't.

Some people, for some unknown reasons, after surgery sugar doesn't affect them. They do not have dumping syndrome. I appear to be one of those people.

Now if you get squeamish over bodily functions, hit the back arrow and I'll see ya next time.

Ok, you had your warning!

It had been a few days since I had gone to the bathroom, you know...the #2 kind. We don't have any type of laxatives around, but do have apple juice. So I thought, "hey, I'll take a few swigs of this and see what happens." It was an after thought to check out the sugar. I probably had about 3-4oz of juice. This particular brand has 28g of sugar in 8oz! That means I had just taken in 10-14g of sugar. I kept waiting for the misery to hit. The sweating, stomach pains, bathroom visits...but it didn't come. I was letting the kiddlets snack on some Halloween candy, and I ate a Tootsie Roll. One of those long ones, not a little one. I couldn't find nutrition info online for that size, just the little ones, but my guess would be that had about 10g sugar in it as well. Again, nothing. I wasn't phased.

You may remember my first week or so of being post-op I had a dumping experience with some yogurt. I thought for sure that it was the sugar (although I only had 2 spoon fulls and there was 7g sugar in 4oz serving). Now I'm thinking perhaps it was the little pieces of berries in it. Maybe my pouch was just too tender and fresh to handle that.

Really I'm not sure how to feel about this sugar thing. In a way I'm like, "Yahhooo! I'm not going to be deprived of everything (or seemingly everything) for the rest of my life!!!" Oh the other hand I'm a little annoyed that I even figured it out. Now the temptations are going to be there. I'm afraid knowing this might hinder my weight loss because I won't make the right decisions. Before it was easy to turn down the temptations. Yes, there is a bowl full of candy--but I know if I eat it I'll be sick. Now it's like, yes...there is a bowl full of candy and if I eat it I'll be ok.

The good thing is that even though I can indulge, it can't be much at all. I am still stuffed after 3-4 bites of food.

So this will be another battle to overcome. Actually, not overcome--but stay away from. I've been practically sugar-free for 6 weeks now and am hanging in there.

Tomorrow I have a Dr appt with my surgeon, will update after that on how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment